Saturday, April 28, 2012

Johnston Island?


Jeremy sent along an interesting picture

"I was going through some photos I got off Ebay awhile ago and found the attached photo of George Ingham and another Airman doing a radio show.

The locale is a tropical island but I can't figure out which Island it might be some of the photos were of Johnston Island so there's a strong possibility that's where the station was especially is there was a radio station there. I've attached a high resolution scan."

Only thing I can tell for sure is that some of the ETs are sleeved in the early 1960s sleeves, but those were around forever (We had boxes of them in Panama in the early 1980s.

Do you know where that studio was?



Jeremy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeremy...

    I don't know where that particular facility was; but I was stationed in Naha Okinawa between 1970 and 1972. Although I didn't work at AFRTS (that's what I had hoped to do upon going overseas), I actually ended up at KSBK - the American rock & roll station owned & operated by R.B.C. - the Ryukyus Broadcasting Corporation.

    I always listened to AFRTS when I had the chance - and would have loved to go back, just to work at one of their stations. Thanks for sharing this post. It brought back some very pleasant memories for me...as an ex-serviceman. Wish I had pictures - but sadly, I don't. Cheers!

    Tom Vernon
    Miami/Ft. Lauderdale

    ReplyDelete